Thursday, May 7, 2009

Why do you blog?

I'm not entirely sure what was going through my mind when I began my first blog. I was in high school, and I loved to write. I've always enjoyed reading articles online, and I guess there was some part of me that wanted to write them. Someone made the comment the other day that my blog is very personal. That got me thinking about whether or not I really wanted my life available online. It provided me with the opportunity to examine why I put time and so much of myself into blogging. The truth of the matter is that I have fallen in love with reading the blogs of some very holy catholic women. Their blogs have inspired me in many ways. The stories of their lives, their faith, their families, their struggles, and their greatest joys are a constant inspiration to me and a constant reminder of the beauty of life with Christ. They are very encouraging. They are very real. Some time ago, I was reading an article that made the headline on my yahoo homepage. It was all about what secrets should be kept from your spouse in a marriage. As I rolled my eyes at its content and shook my head at the disillusionment of the world, I moved on to one of the blogs I read daily. That particular day, one of the "bloggers" had beautifully articulated a supernatural experience she had recently. I read what she wrote, and my soul was changed. I thought to myself (and said aloud to my roommate), if this were the stuff that made the yahoo headlines, the world would be a better place. The articles would truly be worth reading. It is a blessing to have such truth online. So, that is why I have been more dedicated to my blog lately. That is why I put so much of myself into it. I'm not saying that my life is particularly exemplary. Nor am I claiming that my blog will change lives, much less souls. The reason I blog is because God has clearly graced my life, my journey to Him, in countless ways. I blog in hope that maybe God will allow some of that to shine through. I don't know that anyone (other than my friends on occasion ;) ) reads my blog. However, I hope and pray that if anyone ever does, they may be inspired to pursue a life lived for Christ. People always say "you never know what you'll find on the internet." I'm just trying to increase the odds that it will be something worth finding...something that will lead to God. If people are going to stumble around online, I might as well try to provide them with an honest place to land.

No comments:

Post a Comment