Sunday, March 13, 2011

To Know the Father's Will

Sometimes the waters of discernment really are muddy.

Sometimes even with dedicated prayer, the intercession of the multitudes, and an honest heart God's will is simply hard to see. Not because God hides it from us, but because we only grow in our ability to discern when we are forced to work harder for the answer.

I have a friend who has noticed that when God wants him to think or pray about something, He makes it very obvious. God manages to bring up references to the topic EVERYWHERE - a bumper sticker on a car that passes by, the only words heard in a conversation that is passed.  That is not how God speaks to me.

I've lost count of the number of times that I've prayed the St. Therese novena. I've not seen a rose. People all around me have been blessed through the roses that come with that prayer. Not me. Oh I've always gained a lot of spiritual graces while praying the novena (which is what it's all about, right? ;-), but I've never seen the visible sign. That is not how God speaks to me.

To be honest, when I hear God, I hear Him fairly directly. I get a specific message. I receive that message in the stillness and quiet of my heart. (So, naturally, when I don't want to hear an answer I'm quite certain is coming, I avoid the still quiet.) I've spoken with friends who have marveled at this. They long to have God speak to them like that. Typical of human nature is the irony that I long for the signs. Hearing God the way I do comes with some problems. It is often hard for me to trust that something is His voice and not Satan's or my own.

My point is that while we all struggle through the sometimes complicated waters of discernment, we are all swimming in a sea of real and powerful graces.  When I can trust in that I can find some kind of peace. But it isn't easy. I have to set aside A LOT of my own selfishness and fears. I have to really truly believe and live the reality that His grace is sufficient, His mercy overcomes, and His love for me is so great and powerful and perfect that He'll carry me through to an even greater life with Him.

If only I trust - even when things really aren't clear.

He is there.

And is grace IS enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment