Wednesday, June 4, 2008

From the Book: To Know Christ Jesus (Sheed) Post 2

"The Holy Family was a family - not a mother and a son with a man in the house. Joseph and Mary were husband and wife, and Jesus was son of both; Mary's son by birth, Joseph's son because Joseph had accepted him, which for Jewish law was decisive. Joseph was the head of the house. ... Joseph was not simply a man living in the house. He was the head of the house, and within the family his word was law." (pgs 70 and 71) When I first read the last sentence of this, I laughed a little. I thought to myself, 'this family is made of a woman conceived Immaculately, God incarnate, and a carpenter. Still, it was the carpenter that was head of the family.' God really does work in amazing ways. This shows me not only the great importance of having the husband leading the family (which reminds me to keep this in mind in my desires for my own future spouse - God willing), but also how God does not discriminate. He has a GREAT plan for everyone. It does not matter who I am, where I've come from, or how many smarter, holier, more devout people I am surrounded by. (surrounded by amazingly holy people as I often am blessed enough to be, it is easy for me to fall into the mindset that these things do matter) God has a specific role for me to play, and He will me enable me to fulfill that role as long as I trust Him to do so (as St. Joseph did).

No comments:

Post a Comment