Friday, May 30, 2008

From the Book: To Know Christ Jesus (Sheed)

"For the rest, we can think of Mary as occupying her day like the "vigorous wife" described in the last chapter of the Book of Proverbs: 'Does she not busy herself with wool and thread, plying her hand with ready skill?" She would have made all the clothes for herself and her men, covers for the beds. All that could be done in the home she did. And she never lost contact with God, God in her soul, God playing on the floor." (pg. 69) (Bold added) This paragraph really struck deep within me. Mary, the Mother of God, had much everyday work to do in order to live the life God called her to. I think this speaks volumes for the dignity of the everyday, necessary, tasks of life. Most of all, it speaks to the importance of maintaining contact with God through this work - not only in my soul, but in all the ways He is present to me in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment