Saturday, May 10, 2008

Control

If you look up "control" on dictionary.com, you will find the following: To exercise authoritative or dominating influence over. I remember one time I was at Six Flags with my cousins. My little cousin Caroline was about 5 years old. We went on Cast-away-kids (remember that ride?). Well, as we were going through the pitch black part, my cousin got scared. Do you know what she did? She closed her eyes. Now, at the time, I thought that was a really stupid thing to be doing. Why close your eyes? That just makes it even darker. The more I think about it, there have been times when I've done the same thing Caroline did. I've closed my eyes in the dark to make things seem less scary. When I think about it now, I think it comes from the need to control. When you actively choose to close your eyes, you've chosen to create darkness. You feel as though you control the darkness. The truth is however, Caroline wasn't really controlling the darkness. It was still dark around her. She wasn't even controlling the darkness created by closing her eyes. Fear controlled it. I wonder...is there ever a time when we are really in control? A line from a wonderful movie with Tom Cruise (he drives a race car-I can't think of the name-something with thunder I think) there is line that says "control is an illusion." It's ture. We never know what is going to happen the very next second. We never really have control. The only One (notice the capital "O") who can/does have control is God. The thing is, we have to let Him have it. It is up to us to let Him be in control of our lives. My question is, if God wants control and can have control, and we can never really be in control, why don't we give it to Him? Why is it so hard to let God have what we can't use anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment