Saturday, May 10, 2008

Beautiful Beyond Comprehension

Here at BC there are many opportunities to attend mass on a daily basis. It is easy for me to go to the 9:30p.m. mass held in St. Martin's Chapel. (located in the basement of my dorm). However, there isn't a mass at that time on Fridays. So a couple weeks ago I went to 5:15 mass at the Abbey. I hated it. I was really uncomfortable and felt out of place. (The Abbey has certain traditions that I don't understand). After talking to a friend about it, I decided I should give the mass a chance. Every mass is sacred. Every mass is important. Every mass offers me Christ. The second time I went, before mass started I said a prayer something like what follows: "Lord I don't understand the beauty of this mass. Help me to be open to it. Help me to see it. Help me to find Your beauty within it, because I don't understand it on my own." It hit me. That should be the prayer I say before every mass. The beauty and sacredness of what takes place at every mass is so far beyond what I can comprehend that I need God's help finding it.

No comments:

Post a Comment