Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween

The much anticipated, much debated holiday approaches this weekend. I've already bought the candy to give out to trick-or-treaters, and I can't wait to see all of the cute kids in their costumes. I never knew there was anything controversial about the holiday until I came to college. I'd never heard of people dressing up as saints. I don't have very strong opinions on the matter. I don't really have much of a reason to right now. While I do find it questionable to have children walking around dressed like demons, witches, or ghosts, I don't think it's necessary to dress up like a saint (and certainly not to avoid the holiday all together). Also, I must admit, that I refused to put jack-o-lantern stickers on my CCD students' homework since the tradition involves the Evil Spirit of Halloween (or something like that). This article on First Things offers some interesting insights. I like what she has to say. Although her argument presented isn't perfect, I like the challenge to live the liturgy fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment