Monday, December 19, 2011

Beautiful History

I heard a speech made by Lance Berkmen of the St. Louis Cardinals. He said some things that really got me thinking.

Many times in life, I'm super specific in my prayers. I approach God with a box, and in that box I place my limited vision of what I think will ultimately bring Him glory and give me happiness.

In 2005, when Lance played for the Houston Astros, he was playing against the Cardinals in the NLCS. Houston was leading the series 3 -1 going into game 5 in Houston. Lance is a professed Christian who, before the game, prayed that if he had the opportunity he would get a hit to help his team win the game. In the 7th inning (I think), Lance got a hit that gave the Astros a lead. His prayer at that point involved a little bargain. He promised God that if they held onto the lead and won the game leading to the first World Series appearance in Franchise history, he would give God all the glory in the post-game press conference.

Well, all was well until Pujols came up to bat with runners in scoring position. He crushed a hanging slider for a crowd silencing home run. The Cardinals won the game. (But not the series....shhh...we won't talk about that part.)

Fast forward to 2011. The Cardinals defy all the odds and are playing in the World Series. Down 3 games to 2 in the series Lance knew that it could all come down to one of his at bats. But his prayer was different this time around. Instead of praying that he make the big hit, he prayed that if he were in the position to make a huge difference he would be calm and able to focus on the at bat.

At one point in the epic Game 6, it did come down to one of his at bats. He says that when he was up there batting, he felt completely calm. He was able focus so that he could do what he had to do to keep the team alive. He did. At the rest of the season's story is beautiful baseball history.

God didn't have to make Lance get the perfect hit. He just had to grant the grace of focus.

That's what I want in my life. God doesn't have to give me the specific things that I see as valuable. All I want is the grace and peace to focus on His will. All I want, when the big moments in my life come, is to be focus enough to hear His voice and calmly use the gifts He has given me to follow His will.

If I can do that, maybe, just maybe, the rest of my life will be beautiful history.

No comments:

Post a Comment