Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Another Year

I promise that the Women's Night blog will be up before our next session, but today is my birthday, which requires a different kind of reflection.

"How do you measure a year in the life? ... How do you measure the life of a woman or a man?" ~Seasons of Love

My journey from 21 years of life completed to 22 years of life completed had some pretty major themes and lessons learned.

First of all, I now know what kind of alcoholic beverages I like (vodka, beer) and what kind I dislike (rum).

In Christian Moral Life, I learned the "theory" (if you will) behind virtue as well as the practical implications that should have on my life. I now have some concept of virtue, which I hope has lead to more virtuous actions.

I learned more about relating to guys, more about guarding my heart and emotional chastity, more about the ways I struggle, and more about letting God come first.

I learned that pride and fear are by far my two biggest battles. And that God is so much bigger than both.

I learned that the Holy, Roman Catholic Church is more amazing, more beautiful, and more Truth-filled than I will ever be able to comprehend. Studying the Church and learning theology are two things I almost didn't do. Now, I can't believe that before this year, there was a time when I thought I didn't need to.

I learned that meeting my Lord and Savior in prayer is the only way I have chance and getting this life right.

I learned that I love life the most when it costs me the most of myself. Living a life that lends itself to selfishness is no way to live. Living a life that lends itself to sacrifice, to less of me and more Him, is the only way to truly be alive.

I've never been the biggest fan of bridges. It's not that I'm super afraid of them, I just don't like driving over them (but I love walking over them). This year, I've learned that the same is true in my spiritual life. The bridge that connects the person I am now with vision of the holy woman God is calling me to be is a bridge that terrifies me. I see now that I am standing at one end, hoping in what I can see waiting at the other, but failing to take a step. My prayer for this upcoming year is that I learn to embrace the bridge (my path to holiness) by stepping. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment