Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Woolly Mammoth

I watched something on TV a few nights ago about scientists who are trying to bring back the woolly mammoth.  From what I gathered, they have found that they can use the hair from woolly mammoths to extract and replicate DNA. They are still in the process of seeing if they will be able to piece together all the DNA strands.

Currently, work is also being done in an attempt to save endangered species from extinction. In this process, the DNA from live animals is being cloned. Animals similar to the endangered species are being used as surrogates. Certain DNA from the surrogate's embryo is being removed and replaced with DNA from the endangered species.

The hope is that the same process can be used for the woolly mammoth, with an elephant as the surrogate.

The whole time I was watching this I had a bad feeling about it.  It was one of those pit-of-the-stomach bad feelings that forces you to squirm in your seat.  I think it is a bad idea. A terrible one in fact.

It seems to me like another example of science being so captivated by the fact that it can, that it fails to dwell long enough on whether it should.

I'm not claiming to know that there would terrible consequences for mankind or for the earth if these experiments were successful.  All I'm saying is that this is a prime example of man's determination to dominate and control nature, rather than allowing nature to reveal God.

I'm confident that God has a good reason that the woolly mammoth is extinct.  And I really, really think that man should leave it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment