Sunday, July 25, 2010

Abraham and God

Note: At the time of publication, the background template on my blog is in need of repair. However, now is not a time that I'm interested in fixing it.

I loved the first reading at mass today. I listened to the words while imagining a scene at which I had to smile.  It was all tos familiar. Abraham asking God if He would in fact be subject to the demands of justice. Returning again and again with a new question - each time beginning by stating that he has no real right to ask anything of the Father, much less to question His ways.

How often my prayers begin the same way. "God, I know that I shouldn't ask but..." "I know it isn't for me to question but..." "God, I need the grace to trust you and have stronger faith but ...."

God's response in the reading was one of patience. In fact, it almost seemed as if He enjoyed this opportunity to teach and reassure Abraham of His justice, His love, and His mercy.

God wants us to know Him.

In the Gospel reading, the apostles (going through the Son to the Father, which is -as scripture tells us - the only way to know the Father) ask Jesus to teach them how to pray.  He teaches them to first give honor and glory to God and to accept God's will, not their own. From this we can learn that in approaching God in humility, in humble surrender, we can come to know Him better.

The Abraham in us all can be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment