Monday, July 5, 2010

LifeTeen Leadership Conference

I had the great privilege of helping Benedictine host the 2010 LifeTeen Leadership Conference. It was my job to assist with sound equipment used in the Abbey Church and to make sure that the band and sound techs had everything they needed. This was fun on many, many levels.

First of all, it was exciting to be doing sound stuff "for real," working with professional musicians. Even though the majority of my sound work was limited to setting up and cleaning up, I did run sound for one of the masses. I was reminded of how odd it is to be a female sound tech. It's something I don't think of much on my own when I'm working, but the guys in the band and the sound guys noticed. They were surprised that I knew what an XLR cable was and could set up the whole Abbey system by myself. (Surprised in a genuine, non-sexist way. They never belittled me.)

Secondly, making sure the band had everything they needed included a road trip to Guitar Center in Kansas City, a stop at Starbucks, and a visit to the local bar for some legal and moderate socialization. How much fun is that? My job was literally to drive around and hang out with the holy, funny people.

The best part of the week was getting to know the guys I was there to serve. They are unique. They are funny. They are talented. Did I mention they are funny? It seems to never stop with them; I'm still laughing about some of things they did/said.

I was there to show them Benedictine hospitality.  I hope that I did justice to that call.  In the end, I thank God for them - for the gift they were to me that week, the gift they were to the conference, to LifeTeen, and for the gift that each of them (Josh, Colton, John, Grae, Matt, and Russ) are to the Catholic Church on earth. God is good, and they listen to Him well enough for His goodness to be seen through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment